July 17, 2023
Employer Benefits of Utilizing Temporary Staffing
We’ve all heard the saying that “it’s hard to get good help these days …”, yet the digital age has made looking for skilled employees easier than ever before. Instead of throwing your hands up in the air and complaining about how hard it is to get good help these days, perhaps it’s time to consider a temporary staffing solution?
Temporary staffing is an employment situation where the staffer is expected to remain in a position for a limited period of time. In many cases these positions can turn into permanent placements. Seasonality impacts on your business? No worries as a temporary employee may just be what you are looking for. Temporary workers are great for projects or assignments that are shorter in duration (although the engagement can range from a few days to several months).
Historically temporary workers (or temps as they are often referred to) were used typically for administrative or general labor tasks. Do you remember having a substitute teacher in school? Temporary workers have come a long way from just being positions such as substitute teachers. In fact, in recent years there has been a rise of temp jobs in Canada. Nowadays temporary employees are used for everything from office admin to accounting and even management positions. Temp workers can provide great value to employers in need of some additional staff required for timely placements.
5 Key Employer Benefits of Temporary Staffing
There are a number of advantages of hiring temporary labor. The greatest benefit is in the flexibility it provides employers during busy or peak seasons.
1. Flexibility – short term coverage when you need it – need coverage for vacation relief or sick leave? Temporary staffing provides a viable solution for short term coverage for when you require it.
2. Enhance your screening/recruiting process – Temporary staffing can provide an excellent mechanism for screening potential full time candidates. You can use this as an opportunity to identify potential talent for future positions in your organization. Screen of potential candidates can be a very time consuming and costly venture. Using temporary staff can allow you to evaluate their skill set and experience in real-time. Employers who use temporary employees have the flexibility to take their time find the right candidate suitable for the role they need to hire for. And speaking of time…
3. Save time – using a temporary staffing solution can help save you time when you need to fill a role or position quickly. Perhaps your company is going through a reorg or some positions are being phased out, temporary staffing can provide workers for these types of scenarios allowing you to save time and focus on your other tasks at hand.
4. Cost Savings – there are some obvious cost savings to be had with using temporary staffing. While you may have to provide benefits such as workers’ compensation you can save on other benefits such as dental, vacation or sick pay. In addition, you can expect training costs to be lower and less time consuming.
5. Reduce Training Costs – employers can save on training costs with temporary employees knowing that they are getting a resource that is already experienced and qualified for the given position. The time it takes to train a “new” employee can be eliminated with the use of temporary staffing. Whether the temporary employee is with you for a week or six months, the amount of training required is often less than anticipated.
Temporary staffing can offer flexibility in your hiring allowing you to find the right candidate for the role that you may be looking to fill. Utilizing short-term staffing solutions can offer some relief when you need it most.